JOB POSTING: Shelter Worker Full Time
Application Deadline: December 7th, 2018 at 12pm
For over a decade, the YES Shelter for Youth and Families has provided shelter, education, and transitional supports in Peterborough. Shelter Workers work closely with our clientele, as a team, providing in-house services under the direction of case management and supervisors.
- Frequent client engagement, with management and care of ongoing activities
- Support clients to meet their goals/responsibilities in collaboration with others
- Crisis intervention and effective listening/engagement
- Clear and concise communication, file management, and note writing
- Daily security, cleanliness of facility, meal preparation, serving and clean-up
- Some additional services are provided to the public within prescribed hours
- Provide all services in a non-judgmental manner that respects confidentiality and reflects a belief that every individual is capable of changeQualifications:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a relevant discipline and/or equivalent experience working in a shelter or with youth/families.
- Knowledge of adolescent developmental theory and specific issues related to homeless/street youth and/or homeless
- Ability to deal effectively and calmly with constantly changing, often high stress, situations and to identify, assess, and intervene deferentially with individuals in
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English (additional languages an asset).
- Ability to problem solve and think
- Knowledge of community resources relevant to families and
- Ability to work alone, within a team, and to work shifts (24/7).
- Ability to prepare food for up to 30 people in a manner that is efficient, safe, and clean
- Experience in life skills instruction and program planning skills an asset
- Computer literacy a mustCertification:
- Standard First Aid and CPR Level C, NVCI (or equivalent), Safe Food Handling required
- Must provide criminal records check (with vulnerable sectors search)Application Process:
Please apply for this position to Caitlin Currie, Emergency Shelter Manager via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter, please indicate the following:
1) Your availability for an interview on Monday December 10/2018 (please provide all available times, and keep those times available in your schedule).
The YES Shelter is enriched by the diversity of our client base and seeks staff that reflects this diversity. Specifically, please indicate if you identify as an individual with a disability, a member of the LGBTQ2S community, a visible minority or have indigenous ancestry. We welcome your application.
The YES Shelter for Youth and Families appreciates all interest in our work. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.