We’re Hiring! Transitional Housing Worker (3 positions)
Full-time, 3 year contract, 38 Hours/Week, $17-20/hour
Part-time, 3 year contract, 26 Hours/Week (with opportunity to increase hours as a Shelter Worker), $17-20/hour
Part-time Weekend Worker 8 Hours Bi-weekly (with opportunity to increase hours as a Shelter Worker), $17-20/hour
Changing lives for over a decade, the YES Shelter for Youth and Families is at an exciting time of growth in our provision of shelter, education, and transitional supports in Peterborough. These three positions provide rewarding opportunities to support youth as they transition out of homelessness, through the expansion of YES’ Transitional Housing program.
Transitional Housing Worker Responsibilities:
• Review applications for participation in the transitional housing program
• Conduct tours of the house with prospective residents
• Collaborate with the YES staff on resident placement, Individual Plans and case coordination
• Provide support to residents in: moving towards their goals, increasing connection to services and supports, and related documentation
• Teach or arrange training in basic life skills for residents (laundry, budgeting, cleaning, cooking)
• Manage weekly house meetings with a shared meal, organize other shared activities
• Manage and work to resolve any issues in the house (including conflict resolution), and provide occasional crisis intervention
• Work alongside residents to ensure the overall upkeep and cleanliness of facility, grounds and outbuildings
• Participate in evaluation protocol development and implement evaluation protocol
• Collect stats on outcomes for youth participating in the program, and general demographics
• Ensure consistent curriculum is implemented, and amended as needed across programs
• Minimum educational requirements: BSW from an accredited university, with 2 years experience in a related field, or CYW Diploma from an accredited college, with 3 years experience in a related field, or
an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Knowledge of adolescent developmental theory and specific issues related to homeless youth and/or families
• Proven ability to deal effectively with crisis situations and to identify, assess, and intervene differentially with youth in crisis
• Good verbal and written communication skills in English with excellent interpersonal skills
• Proven problem solving skills
• Knowledge of community resources
• Ability to work alone and collaboratively within a team
• Ability to work evenings and weekends (All positions will need to work one full weekend every four weeks, the Weekend Worker will work every other weekend)
• Computer literacy a must
• Ability to operate a photocopier, fax, walkie-talkie, dishwasher, washer and dryer
• Experience in life skills instruction and program planning skills an asset.
• Standard First Aid and CPR Level C, ASIST, NVCI (or equivalent), Safe Food Handling required.
• Valid “G” driver’s license; access to a reliable vehicle an asset.
• Must provide criminal records check (with vulnerable sectors search) and sign an oath of confidentiality.
YES offers a dynamic working environment, industry-competitive wages and benefits, schedule flexibility, and opportunities to grow professionally within the agency. Please apply by May 23, 2019 and submit your resume and cover letter to the attention of Geri Blinick, Transitional Housing Manager via CharityVillage.ca. Please indicate your availability for an interview on May 27 and 28 and specify the position(s) you are interested in.
The YES Shelter for Youth and Families appreciates all interest in our work. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
196 Brock Street, Peterborough ON K9H 2P4
Telephone 705-748-3851, Fax 705-748-6697 www.yesshelter.ca firstname.lastname@example.org