Application deadline: As soon as possible.
Status: Full Time, Temporary
Reports to: Manager of Finance and Administration
Location: Peterborough, ON
Application Process: Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The YES Shelter for Youth and Families has been working to end youth and family homelessness in Peterborough City and County since 2000. We are in an exciting period of growth, in our provision of emergency shelter, education programs, outreach services and youth housing opportunities. This position supports the critical work of YES in providing shelter and housing to youth and families experiencing homelessness. We are looking for a seasoned maintenance coordinator with proven experience in the day-to-day operations of a busy client facing service environment.
YES offers a dynamic working environment, industry competitive wages and benefits, and schedule flexibility. As well as an opportunity to meaningfully contribute your skills alongside a dedicated group of colleagues in service to vulnerable youth and families.
The Maintenance Coordinator is an important member of the YES team. The coordinator maintains four buildings including preventative maintenance, repairs, seeking out and coordinating necessary external trades and supporting program needs. The Maintenance Coordinator will oversee maintenance assistants who have lived experience of homelessness, and will occasionally be called upon to oversee groups of volunteers to accomplish larger tasks. This position is critical to ensuring the organization provides safe, secure spaces for vulnerable clients, and supports staff in ensuring timely turnover of housing units for clients to move into. This position will come in contact with people who are in stressful situations and must communicate with them respectfully, always maintaining confidentiality.
YES is currently seeking a temporary Maintenance Coordinator to cover a leave of absence. End of contract will come with 4 weeks notice.
*In order to find the perfect candidate, part-time candidates will be considered. Please indicate if part time is your preference.
- Convene and coordinate a property advisory committee with necessary expertise to advise on building needs and maintenance projects and to develop a capital replacement plan for all buildings
- Assess needed repairs through visual inspection (with input from the property advisory committee) and respond to work orders generated by staff
- Anticipate repairs necessary, and gather quotes, presenting general costs to Manager of Finance & Administration well in advance (allowing funds to be sought).
- Complete repairs to buildings (repair or install fixtures, surface repair, painting, etc.) and preventative maintenance tasks (furnace filter replacement, vent cleaning, etc.)
- Organize supplies and supervise/support volunteers undertaking larger tasks or skilled tradespeople completing more complex tasks
- Coordinate external trades in the maintenance, repair and renovation of buildings and provide site supervision as needed
- Communicate with staff/residents of any disruptions to living/working environment due to repairs (i.e. water/electrical shut off)
- Write and file records of activities and repairs
- Maintain cleanliness and safety of the work area
- Organize the work and oversee maintenance assistants whenever necessary
- Support the hiring of maintenance assistant(s) when required, and provide direction and support to volunteers and students, as required
- Work in a non-judgmental and respectful manner
- Provide services in a professional, skilled manner in line with the philosophy of the agency’s Mission Statement, policies and procedures and relevant legislation
- Other duties as may be required
- Able to lift/carry up to 25kg
- General maintenance skills in carpentry, plumbing, painting, surface repair, etc.
- Proven strong skills and willingness to do drywall repair and painting, as well as demonstrated success in installing fixtures and some carpentry; ability to trouble shoot plumbing, heating, electrical systems, etc.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Strong organizational skills and capacity to develop a clear, efficient work plan amidst many priorities, and coordinate the work of multiple trades
- Reading and writing skills (in English) to record tasks and communicate with staff and residents
- Hard working, thorough, and reliable
- Experience in supervising and coordinating groups/volunteers/staff/trades on a project an asset
- Experience in settings who serve vulnerable populations an asset
- Ability to work independently, and in a team setting
- Ability to work collaboratively with managers and program staff to identify priorities, and ensure timely delivery of tasks to ensure strong program delivery for clients
- Must provide a criminal records check (vulnerable sectors search) and sign an oath of confidentiality
- WHMIS (or equivalent)
- Valid driver’s license
- Standard First Aid
- Safety at Heights Training
- Non Violent Crisis Intervention
Hours of Work
- 40 hours per week (8:30-5:00pm, with daily half hour unpaid lunch), flexibility of hours available with permission of supervisor.
- Evening meetings and some weekend work required.
- To find the right candidate, part-time hours would be considered, please indicate if this is your preference, and the number of hours you would prefer to work.
- Rate of pay ranges from $18-$20.50 per hour depending upon experience.
YES is enriched by the diversity of our client base, and seeks staff who reflect this diversity. YES welcomes applications from those who identify as an individual with a disability, is a member of the LGBTQ2S community, is a visible minority and/or identifies as indigenous. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Application Process: Please apply with your resume and cover letter to Matthew Hill, Manager of Finance and Administration by email at email@example.com. The position will remain open until a candidate is selected.
The YES Shelter for Youth and Families appreciates all interest in our work. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.